Friday, November 4, 2011

Romford Trip - Day 1

ROMFORD 3 WARE 2

    
                                  
                                                                                                                                        






The sun was out in force as the first day of my Romford trip got under way. A "home" game against Ware. As you may or may not be aware Romford actually play in Aveley, which is in Essex. It is our 17th "home" venue since we reformed in 1992. I can't even begin to go into the saga of the new ground at Westlands without my blood boiling and me upsetting certain people at Romford FC, both of which I do not wish to partake in.

Today I was feeling rebellious, so got the 165 to Elm Park Station, then changed to the 372. And who says I don't lead an exciting life?

Elm Park Station in the sun
The journey was over all too soon and as usual I was ridiculously early so got off a couple of stops after the ground to have a pre match pint in a boozer round the corner. It wasn't open. Hmmm!

I walked into Aveley village and luckily found a pub that was open, and showing the Liverpool v Moan United game. There were a number of Thurrock fans in there, which suprised me. On looking at the fixtures they had an FA Trophy game at home.
Supped a couple of pints and walked to the ground.Saw all the usual suspects and it was good to catch up with every one.

Ware have a certain Stuart Nethercott as their manager. He looks like a buffoon and has a high pitched gutteral voice to match.
Ex Spurs, Millwall "player, Ware manager Stuart Nethercott

Every time he shouted his instructions from the dug out, Paul, one of our lot, started up with the Muppet song, "Ma na ma na". The scene would be, Nethercott would shout something, followed by us going "Do,do,do,do,do". You had to be there really.

We took the lead after 5 minutes when Paul Kavanagh swung in a free kick and Matt Toms rose un marked at the far post.
                           Tommsy with the first

After 25 minutes that man Kavanagh was at it again, this time a free kick from the left, and Nick Reynolds headed in to make it 2-0.
 
Nick Reynolds is congratulated by Abs Seymour

A defensive slip ten minutes after this allowed Ware’s Nikki Crace to reduce the deficit and this goal led to a period of strong but unsuccessful play by the visitors.
 
Two minutes into first half added time Reynolds settled the Romford nerves somewhat when he headed home his second and his team’s third goal from yet another Kavanagh dead ball kick to take the home side into a 3-1 half time lead.
Get this man in your fantasy team, 3 assists
 
Although Ware pulled a goal back, Romford were good value for their win, and the 88 hardy souls went home happy. Except me! I didn't go home, for my next appointment was in Leyton for an anti-racist gig.
Poster for the gig
 Whilst I was basking in the sun in deepest darkest Essex, the O's were beating Bury 1-0. Tiny Cox with the goal.
                                 We've got Tiny Cox
The gig was compared by the wonderful Graham Larkeby and first up were Corporal Machine and The Bombers. Wasn't sure where a tuba player was going to fit in but it was soon obvious as they went through their impressive set, with a couple of songs mentioning Romford, which will always get bonus points from me. The tuba took the place of the bass guitar and at one point, there was even a rap. A rapping tuba player? Thumbs up!
                              Rapping tuba player? Tick!
Headline act was Steve White and The Protest Family, a band I am proud to call my mates. They churned through classics such as "Walthamstow Dogs", "Brisbane Road", "Summer in Sainsbury's". Encore was a song I have never heard live, namely "Leyton Orient scored more goals than any other 4th division team in 1988/89".

                                  "Funky" Lol Ross
And then I had to get to Leyton station, to get to Stratford on the Central Line and then take my chances with the trains to Romford. As I was on the platform, my mate Lee told me there were no trains due to engineering works. Ah! Wonderful! Hop over to the other platfrom and get a Central Line to Newbury Park, then the 66, the "King of bus routes". 
 I was stranded at Newbury Park for an hour waiting for the bus. I love Newbury Park station with its funky roof, but don't wish to sit there so long on a Saturday night, watching a chav have a breakdown in front of me. Finally got back, and flopped tired into bed, ready for the next days adventures.
                         Is that not a funky roof?













































 


No comments:

Post a Comment