Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Specials - E-Werk, Köln

The Specials
I waited a long time to see The Specials. One of the few bands from my youth which I missed the first time round. Then when they reformed, the gigs were in the UK and sold out within a few hours, so when I read they were playing 3 hours from me, I just had to get tickets. And I did. In January...for a gig in September. Nothing like being prepared is there?

This would mean me missing yet another Bückeburg game, this time away at bottom club Rotenburger SV. And would you believe it we win 2-1 after being a goal down. So two wins, and both times I have missed it. I think the football gods are trying to tell me something. I shall miss the next home game which for some bizarre reason is on a Friday, as I have tickets for Hannover 96 v Werder Bremen.

So it was off to a city which I despise, namely Köln (Cologne for all those anglophiles out there). Set off on Saturday midday and were staying overnight. 
Köln 
 Whilst eating a meal, at a truly blinding gaff on the way to the venue, I checked my iPhone to see that Orient were 0-2 down at Huddersfield Town. Couldn't seem to find out how Romford were getting on at home to Needham Market, and Hannover earned a creditable draw away at Augsburg.

Turned off the phone thinking we had suffered yet another defeat, only to find Mrs Reject smiling at me, whilst looking at her phone. We had scored 2 goals in the last five minutes to draw. Kevin Lisbie with his first goal for the O's and Ben Chorley with the equaliser.
Big Ben Chorley
I was happy. May have also had something to do with the copious amounts of Weissenbier I had quoffed in the pub. And finding out that Romford had held one of the favourites at home to a 1-1 draw, Chuck Duru with our goal, I was feeling cock-a-hoop!
Our very own Chuck D
 The gig!


Phenomonal, what more is there to say? Although, I thought the vocals of Terry Hall and Neville Staple could have been cranked up a couple of notches. 


All the favourites were trotted out, complete with an encore. However, I was waiting for "Ghost Town", which they surprisingly didn't play. 


Atmosphere was good, as was to be expected. Venue, was also excellent but I have been there so many times, it is almost like a second home. 


Off to Bückeburg on the Sunday and more good news. In the Essex derby, Romford Raiders beat Chelmsford Chieftains 5-4 to maintain their 100% record. Even AJ Smith played with a mashed up thumb (against doctors orders).

Fellow Karl Pilkington fan, AJ Smith
Fantastic start to the season, and to be honest I can't really see us losing at all. It is bound to happen but to win ugly against your local rivals is pretty darn impressive. 
That's what it means for JJ McGrath


 

3 comments:

  1. After having been suspected of being the mysterious "english blogger" myself at Bückeburgs last home game, I decided to have a look on the internet to see who this might be. I had, up to now, assumed that I could be the only englishman to watch a german fifth league club and sporadicaly at that. To find a fellow countryman not only supporting the side but also writing a blog on it is quite funny (by that I'm not referring to your blog but to my naive presumption!). Well, there you go. Maybe we'll meet up at a home game in the near future. Friday is marked in the calender, but from your blog I gather you are going for professionalism rather than the real, sweaty, gritty... well amateur thing (the chips are better too - do they have them in Hannover? I can't remember)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim,
    Cheers for the comment. I actually got all the dates mixed up and will be at Bückeburg v TSV Ottersberg on Friday. I try to get to as many VfL games as possible and used to attend Kreisliga C games (yes, I really am that sad), but seem to have calmed down a bit in recent years. Come and say hi, I stand at the far end of the terracing for the first half, next to the hockey pitch. And I think they do have chips at Hannover but I steer well clear of them.

    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim,

    I think I asked you to be the mysterious english blogger as I asked the other 300?! ;-)
    If you two meet sometimes drink a beer and say "cheers" to Göttingen 05 fans spending love to you both! Greetings from the beautiful "The Cure"!

    ReplyDelete